Saturday, February 24, 2007

February 24, 2007


For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future - Jer 29:11-12

God is so good!! This is a phrase we are often quick to use, but the longer I walk with Him, the more I understand its meaning. God has been working so faithfully in my life and the lives of my family. Over the last month or so, we have struggled together, cried together, and laughed together, a lot.

As many of you know, our lives are in transition, which is an understatement. I recently resigned as pastor of New Life Church, the church my wife and I started over five years ago. I received final word from the Army yesterday that I am going to be accepted as a chaplain and I will report for duty on June 3rd at Fort Jackson in Columbia, South Carolina. Suddenly, life is in fast forward mode.

I am currently in Atlanta preparing to fly to Jamaica tomorrow morning in order to make preparations for a trip I am leading March 29th through April 5th. I will return on Tuesday to Atlanta and then travel to DeLand, Florida to spend about four weeks with my father who is struggling with cancer. On March 24th, I will return to Tennessee to celebrate New Life Church’s fifth anniversary before returning to Jamaica on the 29th.

Please keep in prayer my wife and children as I will be spending a lot of time away from them over the next six months. As you may already know, she is the greatest and most beautiful woman in the world, but this time of separation will be hard on her and the kids.

Thank you for your prayers also for my father. His name is Frank. His cancer is in his left lung, kidney, liver, prostate, and in his arm. He is starting his fourth week of Chemo and Radiation. Pray that he will be strengthened and encouraged throughout this process. His outlook is great as he trusts the Lord in life and in death. One real positive note is that he has been able to have a real ministry to other cancer patients he is meeting in doctors offices. Pray that he will be able to bring hope to many of these who don’t know Christ as Lord and Savior.

One last note and prayer request. Many of you know J.R. Wade that has lived with my family for the last year and a half. He became a Christian about two years ago and has blossomed in our church becoming the lead guitarist for our praise band. He decided to join the Army the other day as well and will be leaving on March 8th. Pray for his Christian witness in the midst of the storms he will face.

Pray also for our church as we face crucial days ahead as we search for a new pastor and new musicians who will help in the ministry. God is so Good, even when we can’t see around the corner to know what is next in this life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

May God grant you extraordinary discernment and strength as you face the upcoming days and weeks. I will be praying for you, your family and New Life church during the upcoming transition.

Thanks for your commitment to the Lord and for your outstanding witness for Him!

--Tim Yarbrough