Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Appointed unto man once to die

A couple of days ago, my dad's neighbor came over to the house and shared that his wife's sister had just passed away due to cancer. As many of you are aware, my dad is also dealing with extensive cancer. After this man shared about his loss, he asked if I would mind doing the graveside service for the family, and of course, I agreed.

This morning at eleven, I attended the funeral service and sat in the back of the room. The woman who had passed away was an Army veteran, so I was there in uniform. She was a faithful member of the AMVETS organization, so some of their members were there to perform the service. As I watched the service unfold, I found my heart greatly saddened by the fact that not once during the service was the Word of God opened, nor was there any hope offered the family from the Word. It was simply a very sad goodbye from her friends.

I later followed the hearse to the cemetery where I was given the opportunity to finally take this grieving family to the Word of God and share with them the living hope that we have in Jesus Christ. I hope and pray that something I said or read will make a difference in the life of someone there.

The days events however have served to sharpen my focus tonight on my own father. Tomorrow morning I will leave here and it may very well be the last time I see him alive. In just over two weeks I will report to Ft. Jackson and then on to Ft. Hood in September. I will no longer have the freedom to come to Florida any time I want. However, I will try to get leave within the next six months and return here again If my father is still here. Please keep him in your prayers as he struggles with decisions about his future. Tonight, as we talked, he shared with me his desire to terminate all treatments and to allow his life to take whatever course it will. These days are tough for him, but I know that Christ is sufficient. Pray that God would pour out His wisdom and grace upon dad's remaining days. Pray also for my mom who suffers through these days along with him. I think that it is often harder on the spouse, who can do nothing to change what is happening, than it is on the one actually going through it. Thank you for your prayers.

I begin tomorrow the final leg of my long vacation with my family. We will travel to Ft. Jackson tomorrow to attend a graduation ceremony from boot camp, and then travel to Asheville, NC to visit our dear friends at Biltmore Baptist Church. On Monday the 21st, we will head home to Tennessee where I will spend my final ten days with my family before heading of to CHBOLC (Chaplain Basis Officer Leadership Course).

T minus 18 days and counting!

1 comment:

Ch. Kevin said...

As I look forward to seeing you again @ Jackson, my wife & I are keeping you in our prayers. Hope you have a safe drive back home.