Sunday, August 26, 2007

Good Bye

1:30 AM on Monday morning, August 27, 2007, My father Frank Olson passed from this life into eternity. His death follows the death of my grandmother, Gusta Larson, who passed on Friday afternoon at 2:00.

I sit here this morning choosing my words carefully because my emotions are so raw. The Army allowed me to go to Florida last weekend to see my grandmother who was in the hospital. I was able to spend an entire night with her there and watch over her as she slept. In the morning I was able to say goodbye to her for now and so long until we meet again.

My dad was better than he had been in weeks. I was able to take him out to Sonic, and Dunkin Donuts for strawberry shakes. He really loved those. We went to Home Depot and picked up materials to fix some things around the house. It was so good to just be with him.

I last talked to him just yesterday morning at about 11:00. He was able to talk fairly well but I noticed he was struggling to remember a few things. However, after he hung up with me, my Mom told me he could not remember who he had just talked to. Within a couple of hours, Mom called 911 and he was taken to the hospital.

It all happens so fast. Just yesterday it seems that I was a young boy wanting to be just like Dad. Now he is gone and I am the Dad whose boys are wanting to be like me. Soon my time will come as well and the next generation will take the lead. But until then, I will have to carry the baton.

Goodbye Dad
Goodbye Grandma

Until we meet again

My heart and my prayers are with my mom who has lost both her mother and husband withing just a couple of days. I cannot even begin to comprehend the pain and grief she is experiencing. I ask all of you who may be reading this blog to please take a moment and pray for her. Her name is Lylas Olson, or Sis as her friends like to call her. Thank you for lifting her up in your prayers!

6 comments:

Alan & Beth McManus said...

Praying for you and your mom and your families, Mark. May God heal your grief and give you all comfort through His Word and Himself.

Rob said...

Also praying for your family.

Rob Olson

Anonymous said...

we are praying for ya'll hope that ya'll will be ok just remeber your fath and that we all love ya'll


linda,john,tobby,samson,andjeremy

zxmacman said...

Mark,
I am saddened to learn of the passing of your dad and grandmother. My prayers are with you and your family during this time of loss. I've been following your blog and can see God is blessing you and your family so abundantly through your experience. Don't lose sight of that. Please send me your new email address when you can. Blessings friend, Tim

Kevin Maples said...

Mark,

I am praying for you and your mom. May God bless you and keep you safe.

Anonymous said...

Mark,
We are praying for you and your family in this time of loss. May God comfort you with his peace. We love you Brother.
Tommy