Monday, June 18, 2007

Week 3 - Day 1 (Monday)

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit three different Sunday services here on Post. At 8:00 I attended a Lutheran service at Memorial Chapel. At 9:30, I attended a Jewish service at the same chapel. Finally, at 11:00 I attended a Catholic mass at the main post chapel with one of my neighbors from my apartment.

The question I have to ask, and the question that all people have to ask is, "Who is God?". What I mean is that people tend to "worship" their own perceptions of who they think God is. But, if all of our perceptions are different, and if they are opposed to each others understandings as they often are, can all of us be right.

I am a tolerant person. I tend to believe that each of us needs to discover truth as God opens our minds to understand it. But at the same time, God is God, and not simply a figment of our imagination to be worshiped.

I found myself hurt yesterday when the Rabbi stated that "Jesus said that he came to fulfill the Law, but in my opinion He fulfilled nothing." Now I understand that Jewish people do not believe that Jesus was who He claimed to be. But at the same time, I could not help but to be saddened by the offhanded negative remark aimed toward my Lord Jesus Christ whom I have come to love so much. Sometimes you don't know how dear something or someone is to you until that thing or person is taken or attacked in some way.

Well, enough rambling. Today, we focused our day on learning to read maps and to using a compass.
We are headed to the woods tomorrow for three days of survival and navigation training. I am excited about this adventure and looking forward to learning some new trick. Pictured here is one of the many tents we will be staying in.

Tonight, a group of 45 of us were put on detail to go to the woods and to set up the tents for tomorrow. I was one of that lucky group and had a good time doing it.

Tomorrow starts early and I will be out of touch for several days. I will be sure to update things on Friday night, although I will probably be exhausted.

No comments: